WebRoots Democracy Is Changing The Game For Online Voting In The UK
WebRoots Democracy is helping usher in the movement for online voting in the UK! WebRoots Democracy is an independent, non-partisan organization that is campaigning for the use of online voting in local and general elections, specifically in the United Kingdom.
Voter apathy plagues all kinds of democracies around the world. WebRoots democracy aims to reverse this growing trend in the UK by campaigning for online voting. The organization currently informs people about new and innovative voting technologies. They also aim to keep citizens updated as to the legislation and support for online voting in the UK.
The WebRoots Democracy blog is very informative, covering all the advancements regarding online voting in the UK. They are also on Facebook and Twitter. We encourage you to follow them to support online voting in the UK.
One of the biggests ways WebRoots Democracy has helped the online voting movement is through the production of a report called Viral Voting. This report is a culmination of over a year’s worth of research on the potential implementation of different options for online voting in the UK. Here are some of the key findings in the report:
The key estimated impacts are:
- An online voting option could boost turnout in a General Election by up to 9 million, increasing turnout to 79%.
- An online voting option could boost youth voter turnout in a General Election by up to 1.8 million, increasing turnout to 70%.
- An online voting option could reduce the cost per vote by a third and provide long-term savings of £12.8 million.
- An online voting option could reduce the number of accidentally spoilt ballots cast.
- An online voting option could allow vision impaired voters to cast a secret ballot, a human right which they may be denied due to current inaccessible methods of voting.
Follow My Vote supports what WebRoots Democracy is doing and encourages you to follow them to stay updated on the status of online voting in the UK.
Support online voting today by using #OnlineVoting on social media and joining our supporters list!
About the author: Will Long is the Marketing Manager of Follow My Vote.